08 July 2011

No More Surveys Please!

Why not? Because most surveys are composed to get the answers desired, to limit what can be selected, and in general not very insightful. In the last three years, I would look forward to possibly completing a survey, but the more I completed, the more disappointed I became.

One common type of question is the ranking of several possibilities which expresses few of the choices I would have liked to have seen. Many were written to cover only what the people originating the survey wanted to see answered, not what the real world would like to answer or for some even what it is like in the real world of diabetes.

Then there are the questions which allow for one answer only and would have been better answered using a ranking. Who thinks these up? Is the person responsible even knowledgeable about diabetes? I really have to wonder!

Instead of selecting an answer from their list – why don't they allow for other answers that are probably more important to the people they what to complete the survey. Do I think some of the questions are idiotic? Very definitely. Until I can see all the questions being asked and decide if I even want to answer the questions, I will not take any more surveys. I am tired of selecting the answer or ranking and clicking enter or continue to see the next question.

Then there are the surveys to help the authors decide if you are a candidate for the questions they want to really ask and if you would be someone they want to take their survey or to participate in an online discussion. Those really irritate me and let me know that I will not be a part of something so narrowly focused as I am probably in total disagreement to begin with.

Now for the ones that make my blood pressure head for the stratosphere – in the next 17 months we will be bombarded with political surveys. Now maybe you will understand why I ditched the land line and went to a mobile phone with caller ID. Sorry folks, I will cast my vote the way I chose for the candidate I chose based on his/her stand on the issues – not that this can always be depended on as they soon learn to compromise. If they are compromising my health and issues I believe in, they won't receive my vote the next election.

If I have rubbed some people the wrong way, so be it. I have had it with the meaningless surveys!

No comments:

Post a Comment