02 September 2013

September Calendar of Monthly Events


September shows up as a very active month for celebrations. I have limited the selections, as some have no interest for me. Although it is listed, I will not write about whole grains month because as people with diabetes, we don't need the extra carbohydrates and most people could eat better if they did not include many of the whole grains. The Academy of Nutrition andDietetics is naturally heavily promoting them. What can you expect from a subsidiary of big food?


The three that I am promoting include the National Cholesterol Education Month, the
National Yoga Awareness Month, and the Healthy Aging Month. You may find other events that interest you here.


This link to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a decent discussion about cholesterol, but nothing about the test that I discussed in this blog. While the test is not for everyone and not cheap, it will help determine if you do not need certain statins. If you require statins, try to have the doctor start with a lower dosage and then move up if your situation requires it.


I found an interesting Risk Assessment Tool for Estimating Your 10-year Risk of Having a Heart Attack that I used. I will not relay my results, but they were not what I hoped. This is another great reason to always obtain your lab results when you find calculators like this. Both links and this are worth exploring and reading about cholesterol. And for someone that thought he knew a fair bit about cholesterol, even I learned a few things. I may do a blog about cholesterol when I finish my reading, but no promises.


The National Yoga Awareness Month (a national observance designated by the Department of Health & Human Services) is interesting if you are supple enough for yoga, which I am not. I will still write about this as it is interesting and as a form of exercise, can be very beneficial. David Mendosa has some interesting blogs about yoga and by typing yoga into the search box on his site. You will find quite a few blogs.


I have known several people that do yoga very frequently and I was aware of a yoga club that existed for several years, but I have not heard or seen anything about it in the last few years.


The other event of interest is Healthy Aging Month. Healthy Aging Month is an annual observance month designed to focus national attention on the positive aspects of growing older. It is to promote taking personal responsibility for one's health, whether it is physically, socially, mentally, or financially.


This link has many tips for the elderly to help them with aging and is short, but worth reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment