04 December 2010

Cholesterol On The Brain?

Diabetes, what are you doing to me? The more studies are done, the more questions that are raised. This one, while done with mice, still raises more concerns and questions about what is happening in people with diabetes.

There is so much information that we have to wonder where it will all end. That the brain is packed with cholesterol has to make me wonder what else is affected by diabetes. The brain produces insulin and cholesterol. This study says that this cholesterol synthesis in the brain is derailed in mice with diabetes.

More explanations of the neurologic and cerebral complications that come with diabetes, include cognitive dysfunction, depression, and the increased risk of Alzheimer's disease. This shows that people with diabetes can have many problems with brain functions, and especially if the diabetes is uncontrolled.

The other important issue raised by the study is the effect of statins on the cholesterol in the brain. This has indicated the strong need for science to learn more about the cholesterol metabolism in the brain and what might affect it. This study points out the possible problems for cholesterol-lowering statins that can cross the blood-brain barrier and cause unintended problems for the brain and its function. Previous studies have had conflicting results.

If for no other reason, this points out how unintended results can wreck havoc with our bodies. This has encouraged me to work harder to reduce the number of medications that I am on by increasing my exercise levels, especially with the idea of getting off of statins.

While I have had good management of my blood glucose levels, I can also see the need to monitor them even closer to better manage them.

1 comment:

  1. Gee, now I know why my brain has stopped working ;-).

    I would love to get off all these drugs. The one thing I know I can do it watch what I eat.

    I know my recent fall was not directly related to loss of balance, etc. After all, I tripped. But, I have begun having problems with my sense of balance even before that happened. I hesitate to walk for exercise even with my walker because of fear of falling. The walker helps me with my back, but it won't keep me from falling.

    ReplyDelete